In the middle of a a wave of personal cancellations recent weeks of big names ranging from Microsoft to Google and an increase in covid-19 cases caused by the omicron variant, CES 2022, the world’s largest technology exhibition, is interrupting one day from its schedule.
In one announcersOn New Year’s Eve, the Consumer Technology Association said CES 2022 in Las Vegas only launched from 5 to 7 January as an “additional security measure” to its current covid-19 protocols. Given the number of technology companies and media houses, including Gizmodo, who gave up personal departure in recent weeks the move has come as no surprise.
If nothing else, it is a reflection of the intense conflict between business and health—Both are important, although I would argue that in this case CES is less – which is currently being played in society.
In this case, the Consumer Technology Association seems to be making a stubborn and reckless statement: The show must continue despite the furious spread of the virus. On Tuesday, the U.S. reported a seven-day average of 265,427 new covid-19 cases, a new record. Two days later, on Thursday, he broke the same record again with an average of 355,990 infections.
In addition to listing their own Covid-19 security protocols– which, to be honest, includes vaccine and mask requirements– The Consumer Technology Association did not mention the record number of cases reported in the US this week. It states, however, that more than 2,200 exhibitors have confirmed that they will attend the event in person.
Namely, the association stated that 143 additional companies have applied for a personal exhibition in the last two weeks. Earlier this week, officials said that personal cancellations accounted for only 10% of the exhibition space.
“As the most influential technology event in the world, CES is adamant in its promise to be a gathering place for product display and discussion of ideas that will ultimately make our lives better,” said Gary Shapiro, president and CEO of the Consumer Technology Association. And statement. “We are shortening the show to three days and we have introduced comprehensive health measures for the safety of all participants and participants.”
It looks like tmany small and medium-sized enterprises are still involved here. In addition, large exhibitors like LG, Panasonic, Sony and Samsung still come in person.
Believe me, I have nothing against CES and I appreciate that the organizers have made safety and health part of the conversation around the event. me too like technology, and I’m looking forward to seeing all the great new TVs that will debut in a few days. But I am only disappointed by the fact that despite the seriousness of the current health situation, there are still some subjects who claim that things can go the same way as in the past.
We all already know that this is not true.