EDITOR’S NOTE: For a detailed description of beginner training and the movements contained in it from their creator, Bret Hamilton, see his article on getting started with this 12-week program.
Start exercising for beginners
If you are just starting out and are unfamiliar with the movements involved in this cycle, check out the attached instructional videos and make sure you understand the techniques involved and have access to the appropriate equipment and space.
Tracking your progress is invaluable in achieving the results you want. It will help you on your journey and help you make sure you use a load that is challenging enough to help you improve, but not so challenging as to risk burnout or injury.
The program is designed to run three times a week. Monday, Wednesday, Friday would be ideal.It will help build strength, improve coordination and flexibility, and will also improve anaerobic endurance.
The total number of sets and / or reps will generally decrease as the program moves forward, meaning it is designed to transition from focus on strength and endurance to pure strength over a twelve-week period.
1. Preparation for movement: Consider this passive heating. Lots of soft tissue stuff that includes foam rollers and / or roller tools to break adhesion and blood flow to the muscles.
2. Activation: The part of training that drives the vestibular system. These exercises are great for motor control and coordination.
- Crocodile breathing x10 breaths
- Practice crawling the X-lift with the ball on your back
3. Intensification: During this phase of the workout, you will perform a “core-focused” exercise that encourages the development of total body tension for short, intense bursts. Your core temperature will rise and you will be ready to build skills.
- Farmer hold with DB, plate or KB 3x: 10
- Rotation stability board x10 per side,: 02 holding
4. Skills building: This is part of strength training. It’s called skill building because the emphasis is on the quality of the repetition, not the quantity. There are usually two groups of three exercises each. Perform each group of three in a circle, one after the other. Rotate through the prescribed number of sets, then move on to the second group of three exercises before proceeding to the next part of the workout.
Monday: 2X15 reps each
Friday: 3X10 reps each
- KB dead boot
- 1/2 kneeling stretch of the hip flexor with dowel x10
- KB Cup Squat (Level 1)
- DB bent row
- Windmill on a foam roller on the side
5. Metabolic state: Here you will improve your anaerobic fitness level by performing a high-intensity interval session lasting approximately five minutes. The total time is kept at five minutes, and the work-rest ratios become more demanding as your fitness improves.
Monday: fast squats, 6 laps: 15, rest: 30
Wednesday:18-23 minutes of walking / jogging at 6/10 intensity level
Friday: fast squats, 7 laps: 15, rest: 30
6. Cool down: During cooling, you will perform similar exercises as in the “Activation” section, except that it will function here as a full body reset. The included drills will help to gradually lower the heart rate, as well as the recirculation of blood after a high-intensity finisher.
- Cross puza x10
- Segment rolls x3
- Rocking x10
- Foam roll as needed
Feel free to include any additional stretching and / or rolling of the foam that you deem necessary after the completion of this section. Be sure to eat some protein-rich foods / shakes within 30-60 minutes to speed recovery.
If you want to participate in this program, let you adhere to it in its entirety, without interfering with and coordinating training from other training programs. Use the included tracking tool. It will be invaluable to track your progress.