Google Fit receives many new features from time to time. The Pixela app offers users the ability to check heart rate just using the phone, and now this feature has come to iOS as well. So now those who do not own a smart wearable they can check their heart rate and respiration on their iPhones using the app. In this article, we will walk you through the steps on how to track your heart rate on iPhone using the Google Fit app.
Also, read | Top 5 iPhone Features for a Healthy Lifestyle
Track your heart rate, breathing rate on iPhone
Note that the heart rate and breathing check option has not yet been introduced for all users, so you should not see it on your phone right away. However, you will soon receive it by updating the Google Fit app.
Steps to monitor your heart rate on iPhone
1. Open the Google Fit app on your iPhone.
2. Touch the three horizontal lines in the lower menu. (Third icon from the beginning).
3. Now select “Vitals” from the list on the next page.
4. Touch “Start” in the Check your heart rate section.
5. Then follow the on-screen instructions and keep tapping “Next”.
6. Now Google Fit will ask for your camera’s permission, tap “Allow” in the pop-up window.
7. Once your camera is open in Google Fit, place your finger on the camera lens and hold still.
A message to measure your heart rate will be displayed on the screen. If you move your finger or any other movement is detected, it will display a message. Stay calm and your heart rate will be measured. You can then save it by tapping “Save measurement”.
Steps to check your breathing speed on iPhone
1 Open the Google Fit app on your phone.
2. Touch the three horizontal lines again and select “Vitali”.
3. Tap “Start” here under Breathing Speed Monitoring.
4. Tap “Next” again when you see the on-screen instructions.
5. Now Google Fit will start measuring your breathing speed by tracking nose and chest movements. So make sure you show up at the camera as instructed.
6. You will need to position yourself in the camera and stay calm while breathing normally as you do otherwise it will not get a stable reading.
That’s it. It will show your breathing rate after it is 100% complete. You can then save your data to the app.
How does it work?
When you place your finger on your iPhone’s camera sensor, Google Fit monitors the incoming light in the sensor and measures your heart rate through the blood flow in your finger.
Alternatively, you can also place your fingertip in front of the light source. Google Fit can then re-measure your heart rate by tracking changes in the color of your fingers through blood flow.
As for the breathing speed feature, it works by tracking your breath using your phone’s front camera when you hold it still in front of you with the chest area visible on the screen.
The app guides you to stay calm if your breath is not followed properly. The app detects subtle chest movements when you breathe and thus measures your breathing rate.
So this way you can measure and track your heart rate and breathing on the iPhone without any smartwatch or fitness tracking device. For more such technical advice, stay with us!
You can also follow us for current technology news on Google News or for tips and tricks, reviews of smartphones and gadgets, join GadgetsToUse Telegram Group, or subscribe to the latest reviewed videos GadgetsToUse Youtube Channel.