Sharing your location with family members can be helpful for many reasons. Apple offers this feature to its users built into the Find My app. A feature called “Family Sharing” is often known for this sharing Apple apps with family, but also offers features like location sharing and tracking your family members. In this guide, I’ll tell you how you can share your location with your family on your iPhone.
Share your location with family members on iPhone
First of all, to share your location with your family, you’ll need to enable location sharing and then add family members to your Apple ID. Also, make sure you and other family members have the latest version of iOS or iPadOS.
Steps to enable location sharing
You can share your location with your family members by enabling the feature for your ID. Follow the steps below to set this up:
1. To go Settings and scroll down to Privacy.
2. Now tap Location services.
3. Enable the switch on the next page, then tap Share my location.
4. On the next page, enable the switch for Share my location.
Steps to add family members
Then follow these steps to add members to your Apple ID with whom you can share your location and other Apple services you want to share.
1. Open up Settings app on your iPhone and tap your Apple ID.
2. Scroll and select Family sharing.
3. Now, tap Add a member, and on the next page, enter their Apple ID or choose from contacts.
That’s it. You can add up to five members to your ID.
Now these members you added to your Apple family will be able to see your location. If you want to share your location with a specific family member, you can tap that person’s name or choose from your contacts.
Find family and friends
If you want to locate a member of your family from your device, you must first follow the same steps above to enable “Location Sharing” on their device as well. Also, make sure the correct location for Find My App is included. Here’s how to check:
1. Open Settings and go to Privacy.
2. Now select Location Services and scroll down to the Find My app.
3. Touch it and enable Precise Location on the next page.
You can now check the live location of your family member using the Find My app on your iPhone. Here’s how:
1. Open Find My App on your iPhone.
2. Tap the Devices tab.
3. You will now see the devices of your family members here.
4. Touch the family member’s device and you can check the instructions or play the sound if the device gets lost somewhere.
Moreover, you can also get notifications when a monitored family member or device arrives at or leaves a specific location. To set notifications, tap the name of the person or item, then tap the “Notifications” button.
So this way you can share the location with your family, track and locate your family members or their lost items using the Find My app. For more such technical advice, stay with us!
You can also follow us for current technology news on Google News or for tips and tricks, reviews of smartphones and gadgets, join GadgetsToUse Telegram Group, or subscribe to the latest review videos GadgetsToUse Youtube channel.