January 4, 2022. – If it is pandemic if you feel restless, closed, eager for adventure, here’s an idea: Go to the Mediterranean.
Although the idea of traveling there may be too difficult, with testing and expanding the Omicron variant, the Mediterranean diet it could be the change of pace you need. It promises to help you live longer and prevent chronic diseases. And it has just been named the best number 1 diet in total – for the fifth year in a row – in US News & World Report annual rankings from diet plans.
He won first place in several categories, including the easiest diet to follow, the best for a healthy diet, the best for diabetes, the best herbal diet and the best diet for heart health (equal to first place in that).
On this year’s scale 12th annually for the report, American news ranked a total of 40 diet plans.
“There are no big surprises in the winners,” says Gretel Schueller. American news editor-in-chief of health. The Mediterranean diet, she says, “has been our longtime champion for a long time.”
To determine the scale, American news gathered an expert panel of top experts in nutrition, diabetes, heart health, and weight loss. Experts have praised a diet that provides adequate calories, low-fat protein and occasional treats, says Schueller.
The panel ranked 40 plans in nine categories. In addition to the best nutrition as a whole, the categories are:
- Best diet plans (once the best commercial diet)
- The best diet for weight loss
- The best diet for fast weight loss
- The best diet for a healthy diet
- The simplest diet to follow
- The best diet if you have diabetes
- Best diet if you have heart disease
- The best plant food
Best overall: Following the Mediterranean diet, which focuses on fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and olive oil:
- Flexicurity (mainly plant-based) i DASH diet tied for second place. Flexitarian is a plan that could work for the whole family, says one expert on the panel. DASH stands for Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension and includes fruits, vegetables, whole grains and low-fat dairy foods. Experts say that it is nutritionally complete and can help prevent or control diabetes.
Best diet plans:
- The Mayo Clinic Diet and WW tied for first place. The Mayo Clinic diet places emphasis on fruits, vegetables and whole grains. It helps people change their eating habits and replace bad habits with good ones. WW (formerly known as Weight Watchers) focuses not only on weight loss, but also on a healthier diet and lifestyle. Its points program is now more personalized, taking into account user preferences.
- Third was Jenny Craig. It offers meals and recipes, with an emphasis on a healthy diet and active lifestyle, along with a change in behavior.
The best diet for weight loss: These were three for first place:
- Volumetry, which is more of an approach to nutrition than a structured diet. It helps users reduce the energy density of meals and make decisions that fight hunger.
The best diet for fast weight loss:
Atkins took first place. Atkins was created by Robert Atkins, MD, a cardiologist who suggests four stages of diet, starting with very few carbohydrates and then progressively eating more until you reach your desired weight. The other two children tied for second place:
- HMR Program (Health Management Resource Program), a weight loss system and lifestyle change program designed to reduce calories by replacing meals with added fruits and vegetables
- OPTAVIA diet, developed by experts behind Medifast. The focus is also on healthy habits to improve weight loss.
The best diet for a healthy diet: The Mediterranean was first, followed by a tie for second with:
- DASH diet
- Flexitor diet
The easiest child to follow: The Mediterranean was first, followed by the Flexitarian; then a three-pointer for the third:
- MIND diet, which combines DASH and the Mediterranean and focuses on foods that improve brain health
- A fertility diet, which suggests that adjusting portions of your diet, from fats to drinks, can increase ovulation and improve the chances of pregnancy
The best diet for people with diabetes: The Mediterranean is the best, followed by a tie for second place:
- Flexitor diet
- Vegan diet, which goes beyond the traditional vegetarian diet, with followers who exclude all animal products, including dairy products and eggs
The best diet for heart health: Again, the Mediterranean took first place, equal to the Ornish diet, which is healthy for the heart, but not easy for everyone to follow due to fat restrictions. Next was the DASH diet.
The best plant food: Mediterranean, flexitarian and vegetarian took first, second and third place
Low on the list
On the overall list, the Dukan diet is last, in 40th place. She was 39th last year.th overall. Limits carbohydrates and emphasizes proteins. The whole 30 also went bad, equating to the 35th Keto diet, although extremely popular among consumers, ranked 37th. But he is in fourth place (equal to others) for the best rapid weight loss.
Efforts to reach out to officers with Whole 30 and Dukan Diet for a response were unsuccessful.
Addressing the Diet du Jours
Two new diets have been estimated, Schueller says: The Sirtfood Diet, a plan that allegedly helped singer Adele lose 100 pounds, and occasionally fast, an approach in which users post different time periods each day or certain days of the week.
Sirtfood diet is named after a group of proteins called sirtuini, which are found in plant foods. The diet claims to mimic the effects of fasting and exercise to help the body burn more energy.
In plans for occasional fasting, Schueller says, followers may choose not to eat for a period of 12 or 16 hours, or they may fast several days a week.
None of them are ranked well, says Schueller. Sirtfood came in 17th in the weight loss category, and the occasional fast was at 20th place or below for the categories in which it is located.
People on a diet want support or a built-in community, Schueller says. For example, part of Noom’s attraction to the child, she says, is that members are assigned a coach and placed in a support group. The idea is to motivate the person to stick to the plan.
Community support, in the form of face-to-face or virtual meetings, has long attracted the WW program. Noom also encourages users to focus on lower-calorie foods, and also encourages self-awareness of why people eat what they do.
To highlight the community aspect, the report includes information on the support provided by various children. For example, for the WW plan, support is available with activity tracking, a restaurant database, more than 10,500 recipes, on-demand trainings, trainers, online and personal workshops and online support groups, among other resources.
The report includes information on how effective the diet is and how easy it is to follow, among other details.
This year, American news It also offers a free, 7-day healthy eating course for people sign up for by email, says Schueller. Concepts that can be applied to any plan are described, she says.
Perspective of registered dietitians
WebMD asked two registered dietitians to review the scale and comment.
“I’m not surprised that the Mediterranean diet is again the top-rated diet,” says Christine Rosenbloom, Ph.D., registered dietitian, nutrition counselor and retired professor at Georgia State University in Atlanta. “This is supported by research, especially research for the lower classes cardiovascular disease risk. Because 60% of adults have at least one or more chronic diet-related conditions, this plan can be used for health and good health. “
But, she emphasizes, it is important to understand that the Mediterranean diet not all the pizza, pasta and olive oil, “along with endless salad bowls and bread sticks that you can all eat.”
Instead, the diet is rich in seafood, vegetables, nuts, grains and, yes, olive oil, she says.
What Rosenbloom wanted was not in the report: the fast weight loss diet category. Rapid weight loss is often followed by regaining weight after people on a diet deviate from the plan, she says.
Another tip: he wants people to think of “diet” as a noun, as in the usual eating pattern you eat, instead of as a verb that means limiting calories to lose weight.
“Because of the Nutrition Guidelines for Americans, all other health organizations are advised to eat healthy food over a restrictive diet to lose weight,” Rosenbloom says. “Many of the diets reviewed for this report emphasize adaptable healthy eating patterns, reflect one’s cultural values, respect personal choices, and take into account budgetary constraints.”
It is also crucial, she says, to consider whether the diet can be maintained.
“A healthy diet should be one that can be followed for a lifetime … not just to fit a certain size of dress or pants for a family wedding or high school reunion,” she says.
It’s also important to look at how restrictive the diet is, says Connie Diekman, a registered dietitian and nutrition consultant at St. Louis.
Adding restrictions reduces the likelihood that someone will follow the plan in the long run.
“The more restrictive a diet plan, the harder it is to follow it longer than the short-term one,” Diekman says. “As a registered dietitian, my goal is to direct consumers to diet plans they enjoy and can maintain.”
Behavior change is also key to a healthy eating plan, she says, and diet in the first place reflects that.
“If people want to develop a better diet plan by choosing either the Mediterranean diet, number one on the list, or any other in that top category, they will choose a plan that offers different food choices, the balance between diet and flexibility we all need to maintain a plan. nutrition, ”she says.