© Reuters. The damage after the airstrike on the temporary detention center can be seen in Saadi, Yemen, on January 21, 2022, in this photo obtained from the video. Video taken by drone. Al Masirah TV / REUTERS TV via REUTERS THIS PICTURE WAS SUBMITTED BY A THIRD PARTY
SAADA / NEW YORK, Yemen (Reuters) – United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Friday condemned airstrikes by a Saudi-led coalition in Yemen that allegedly killed at least 60 people at a detention center in the Houthi-held province of Saada.
A Reuters witness said several people, including African migrants, were killed in the attack. Guterres spokesman Stephane Dujarric said further deadly airstrikes had been reported elsewhere in Yemen, including children.
“The airstrike on telecommunications facilities in Hodeidah has also significantly disrupted vital Internet services in much of the country,” Dujarric said in a statement. “The Secretary-General calls for swift, effective and transparent investigations into these incidents to ensure accountability.”
Save the Children said in a statement that three children were allegedly killed in the western city of Hodeidah.
A Saudi-led military coalition has been fighting an Iranian-linked Houthi group in Yemen since 2015. The coalition said a report on the deaths on Friday would be investigated “using an internationally approved, independent process”.
He stepped up airstrikes https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/yemens-houthis-say-12-dead-saudi-led-coalition-strike-al-masirah-tv-reports-2022-01 – 17 about what he says are Houthi military targets after the group carried out an unprecedented attack on a member of the United Arab Emirates coalition https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/uae-says-missiles-drones-used -napad -some-intercept-2022-01-20 on Monday and further launches of missiles and drones on Saudi cities.
During a news conference earlier Friday, Guterres said: “This escalation must stop.”
Dujarric said Guterres reminds all parties that they have a duty “to ensure that civilians are protected from the dangers arising from military operations, respecting the principles of proportionality, distinction and caution.”
The UN Security Council condemned the Hutu attack on the UAE and other places in Saudi Arabia in a statement Friday after a closed-door meeting requested by the UAE. The UAE joined a 15-member council this month for a two-year term.
Asked about the airstrikes on Yemen on Friday, UAE Ambassador to the UN Lana Nusseibeh told reporters: “The coalition is committed to abiding by international law and a proportionate response in all its military operations.”
U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken spoke with Saudi Foreign Minister Faisal bin Farhan al-Saud on Friday to reaffirm the U.S. commitment to help Gulf allies improve their defenses and emphasize “the importance of mitigating civilian damage,” the statement said. Department.
The conflict, in which the coalition intervened after the Houthis overthrew the internationally recognized government from the capital Sanaa, killed tens of thousands of people, displaced millions and pushed Yemen to the brink of starvation.
Fusion Media or anyone involved with Fusion Media will not accept any liability for loss or damage resulting from reliance on information including data, quotations, charts and buy / sell signals contained on this website. Please be fully informed about the risks and costs associated with trading in financial markets, as this is one of the riskiest possible forms of investment.