If you use Windows 11, you’ve probably often encountered the annoying message of Onedrive syncing popping up out of nowhere. Fortunately, Microsoft allows you to disable or remove it from the operating system. In this article, you will learn 6 ways to disable OneDrive in Windows 11. You can further improve your productivity in Windows 11 by using its hidden features.
Also, read | 3 ways to turn off startup sounds in Windows 11
Disable Microsoft OneDrive in Windows 11
Remove the permission for background applications and cancel the application
If you do not want to uninstall OneDrive from your system, but you want to avoid its automatic startup, then you have to manually terminate the application and prevent it from running in the background. Follow these steps for easy repair.
- Expand applications on the left sidebar and click on Applications and features.
- Look for OneDrive and open its properties by clicking Advanced options.
- Set Permission for background applications on Never and scroll further down the page.
- Click on Cancel button to exit any running instance in the system.
- That’s it. OneDrive will now not work on its own until you open it manually.
Remove OneDrive from Windows Startup Services
Windows startup services include a list of applications that run as soon as the system starts. Removing OneDrive from startup services will ensure that the app does not start automatically at startup. Therefore, it will prevent the application sending any unnecessary synchronization notifications to the user. Follow these steps for a quick solution.
- Click on applications to expand options and select Starting.
- Find the OneDrive app and turn it off.
Uninstall Microsoft OneDrive
One of the most effective ways to avoid unnecessary OneDrive sync notifications is to uninstall the app from the system. Follow these steps to remove Microsoft OneDrive from Windows 11.
- Open up Settings application on your device.
- Expand on the left sidebar applications and click on Applications and features.
- Scroll down to find OneDrive and click on three-dot icon in front of him.
- Click on Uninstall to remove an application from your system.
Use the Group Policy Editor to disable OneDrive
Group Policy Editor is a Windows administrative tool that helps the user personalize the Windows experience and important services. You can use this tool to disable OneDrive file storage. This will prevent the app from sending any sync notifications.
- Open the Run window by pressing Windows key + R simultaneously.
- Type ‘gpedit.msc’ and press enter.
- Go to the next one path:
Computer Configuration> Administrative Templates> Windows Components> OneDrive
- Double click on Prevent using OneDrive to store files to open the settings.
- Change settings to Disabled and click Ok.
Use Registry Editor to disable OneDrive
Another effective way to disable Microsoft OneDrive is with the help of Registry Editor. Follow these simple steps for a quick solution.
- Simultaneously open the Run window Windows + R key combination.
- type ‘regedit‘and press enter.
- Click yes when you are prompted to grant administrative access privileges.
- Go to the next one path:
Computer> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE> SOFTWARE> Policies> Microsoft> Windows> OneDrive
- If you can’t find the OneDrive folder here, you have to create one in the Windows directory.
- Right-click the Windows folder and click New and then select Key.
- Name the key for OneDrive.
- Right-click this newly created key and click New and then select DWORD (32-bit value).
- Rename this DWORD value to Disable FileSyncNGSC and then double-click on it to set its value.
- Enter a value for 1 and save the changes.
- That’s it. You have successfully disabled OneDrive file synchronization in Windows 11.
Bonus: Use the command line to kill and uninstall OneDrive
If you don’t want to go into more technical details to uninstall the app, you can directly try to forcibly close and uninstall the OneDrive process to remove it from Windows 11.
- Open up Launch the window by pressing the Windows + R key combination.
- Type cmd and press enter.
- Enter the following 2 commands one by one:
For a 32-bit system: taskkill / f / im OneDrive.exe
% SystemRoot% System32 OneDriveSetup.exe / uninstall
For a 64-bit system: taskkill / f / im OneDrive.exe
% SystemRoot% SysWOW64 OneDriveSetup.exe / uninstall
- The first command will force close process and other command will uninstall it.
- After executing the second command, you will receive uninstall program popup from OneDrive to uninstall the application. Follow the steps in the uninstall program window to completely uninstall the application.
- Congratulations. You have successfully uninstalled OneDrive from Windows 11.
So, this is a pack for ‘6 Ways to Disable Microsoft OneDrive in Windows 11’. I hope you managed to disable it so that you are no longer bothered by unnecessary pop-up messages. If this article helped you, press the Like button and share this with your friends to help them increase their productivity. As always, stay with us for instructions like this.
You can also follow us for current technology news on Google News or for tips and tricks, reviews of smartphones and gadgets, join GadgetsToUse Telegram Group or subscribe to the latest reviewed videos GadgetsToUse Youtube channel.