If you are a Google Chrome user, you must have often encountered a “404” error while browsing the internet. While there may be several possible reasons for this error, we’ve listed the best methods to easily fix this error in Google Chrome. You can also check out our guide on how to fix it unusual traffic error on Chrome.
Also, read | 7 Ways to Fix “Aw, Snap!” in Google Chrome! Errors and other failures
Reasons for error 404
The most common reasons for a 404 error are:
- Wrong spelling URL.
- The website you are looking for has moved to a new address.
- The page you are looking for does not have a Redirect URL.
- Your landing page was deleted or no longer exists.
Ways to fix 404 error in Google Chrome
Please check that the URL you entered is correct
The first and most important step to quickly resolve this error is to verify that the URL you entered is correct.
- Click on URL bar in Chrome and make sure you’ve entered the address correctly.
Refresh the website
To quickly fix and fix a 404 error in Chrome, you need to manually refresh the webpage. Follow these simple steps to do the same.
- Click on Refresh button on the toolbar immediately to the left of the search URL.
- You can also press F5 button on the keyboard to instantly refresh the web page.
- To retrieve the live version of the web page instead of the cached one, you need to press Ctrl + F5 / Shift + F5 / Ctrl + Shift + R. This key combination will perform a hard reset of the web page to resolve this issue.
Make sure the landing page is active
If you repeatedly encounter a 404 error while accessing a particular website, then you need to check the status of the website you are trying to visit. Follow these simple steps to determine if your website is active online.
- Open a new tab and access IsItDownRightNow Web page.
- Enter the domain name in search bar and hit Check button.
- Wait a few seconds to check the status of your website.
- If the website is alive and well, you will see a green icon UP in the description otherwise you will notice red icon Down which indicates that the website is offline.
Ensure the existence of the searched website
If you feel that you are facing this error, then you need to check whether your target website exists on the internet or not. You can easily check this by using the Whois Lookup service from name.com. Follow these simple steps to do the same.
- Open a new tab in Chrome and access Whois Lookup Service with Name.com
- Come in domain name or IP address web pages in the search bar you need to check online and click on the green search icon.
- You will immediately receive details about the requested domain along with key related information such ascreation date, registry, and even domain expiration date. If your website does not exist on the internet, it will not give any results.
Delete Google Chrome cache files
Sometimes over-accumulation of temporary cache files can cause problems browsing or opening a particular website. In such a situation, the user will most likely face a 404 error while loading the web page. To resolve this issue, you must manually delete the cache files associated with Google Chrome.
- Click on three-dot icon in the upper right corner of the screen and open Settings.
- Click on in the left sidebar Security and privacy option. Next, click on Clear browsing data button.
- Check Saved images and files option and click on Delete data button to clear cache files.
Bonus tip: Change your system’s DNS servers
If you have noticed that a 404 error is displayed on your entire website, not just one website, then you need to make sure that the same website is available to you when you are connected to another network. If you can see the site while connected to another network, then you need to change the DNS server settings to the previous network to avoid a 404 error. Follow these simple steps to easily change your system’s DNS settings to other configurations such as Google DNS.
Conclusion: a web experience without errors
We hope you’ve now learned how to fix 404 error in Google Chrome. If this article helped you fix existing errors and gave you a better experience, click the Like button and share this with your friends to help them fix Chrome errors as well. Follow us for more helpful troubleshooting guides.
You can also follow us for current technology news on Google News or for tips and tricks, reviews of smartphones and gadgets, join GadgetsToUse Telegram Group, or subscribe to the latest videos with reviews GadgetsToUse Youtube channel.